Albany Park is getting a new, $15 million state-of-the-art library!
FEATURES OF THE NEW LIBRARY TO OPEN FALL 2014
- The new library will be 55% larger than the existing library, which opened in 1962.
- Unlike the current library, it will be fully ADA accessible.
- Almost four times as many public-access computers as the existing library
- For many patrons, CPL computers are their only computers.
- Even if there were room for more computers in the existing library, the electrical system could not accommodate them.
- An outdoor reading garden.
- A high-efficiency heating and cooling system to increase comfort while saving energy
- Patron parking (the current library has none).
- A larger multipurpose/meeting room.
- An open layout designed to make it easier for staff to monitor and serve the whole library.
- Ceiling and flooring materials designed to absorb sound.
During construction, Alderman Laurino and CPL is providing more interim services than have ever been provided in the history of CPL:
- The CPL Bookmobile will be stationed across the street from the existing library as soon as the new Edgewater library opens in Spring, 2013. It will be open the same hours that the branch was (65 hours/week).
- Northeastern Illinois University Library has agreed to provide lending privileges to Albany Park patrons free of charge. This is the first time in history that CPL has entered into such a partnership. Alderman Laurino was the one who brought NEIU into the discussion.
- The Teacher in the Library Program will provide homework help for children 15 hours per week in the North Park Covenant Church (5250 N. Christiana, only two blocks from the existing library). This is the first time in history that the program has been offered outside of a CPL branch. Alderman Laurino pushed hard to ensure that a neighborhood location was found for the program.
- There are interim locations in the neighborhood for the Adult Reading Group and the Korean Language Reading Group.
- There are four other branches within two miles.
For more information, visit http://www.pbcchicago.com/content/projects/project_detail.asp?pID=08130